80 Interesting factoids-
Everyone needs to know a couple of useless facts to make their lady friends purr with awe or their male friends to jump them when they're moisturizing after a long hot bath.
Mosturizing chicks rule!
1. Ostriches are often not taken seriously. They can run faster than horses, and the males can roar like lions.
2. Sloths take two weeks to digest their food.
3. Guinea pigs and rabbits can't sweat.
4. Sharks and rays are the only animals known to man that don't get cancer. Scientists believe this has something to do with the fact that they don't have bones, but cartilage.
5. The porpoise is second to man as the most intelligent animal on the planet.
6. Human birth control pills work on gorillas.
7. Many sharks lay eggs, but hammerheads give birth to live babies that look like very small duplicates of their parents. Young hammerheads are usually born headfirst, with the tip of their hammer-shaped head folded backward to make them more streamlined for birth.
8. A group of twelve or more cows is called a flink.
9. You can tell the sex of a horse by its teeth. Most males have 40, females have 36.
10. Lyndon B. Johnson was the first president of the United States to wear contact lenses.
11. President Teddy Roosevelt died from an infected tooth.
12. When the Hoovers did not want to be overheard by White House guests, they spoke to each other in Chinese.
13. Robert Kennedy was killed in the Ambassador Hotel, the same hotel that housed Marilyn Monroe's first modeling agency.
14. Theodore Roosevelt was blind in his left eye.
15. An apple, onion, and potato all have the same taste. The differences in flavor are caused by their smell. To prove this - pinch your nose and take a bite from each. They will all taste sweet.
16. In South Africa, termites are often roasted and eaten by the handful, like pretzels or popcorn.
17. Table salt is the only commodity that hasn’t risen dramatically in price in the last 150 years.
18. Burger King® uses approximately 1/2 million pounds of bacon every month in its restaurants.
19. There are more than 200 kinds of chili peppers, none of which belong to the pepper family.
20. Ice cream was originally made without sugar and eggs.
21. Native Americans never actually ate turkey; killing such a timid bird was thought to indicate laziness.
22. In Bavaria, beer isn't considered an alcoholic drink but rather a staple food.
23. Beer is made by fermentation cause by bacteria feeding on yeast cells and then defecating. In other words, it's a nice tall glass of bacteria doo-doo.
24. Spam stands for Shoulder Pork and Ham.
25. Medical researchers contend that no disease ever identified has been completely eradicated.
26. The attachment of the human skin to muscles is what causes dimples.
27. No one seems to know why people blush.
28. In 1972, a group of scientists reported that you could cure the common cold by freezing the big toe.
29. People who have a tough time handling the stress of money woes are twice as likely to develop severe gum disease, a new study finds.
30. Men have more blood than women. Men have 1.5 gallons for men versus 0.875 gallons for women.
31. The first Band-Aid Brand Adhesive Bandages were three inches wide and eighteen inches long. You made your own bandage by cutting off as much as you needed.
32. The human brain stops growing at the age of 18.
33. In 1977, a 13 year old child found a tooth growing out of his left foot.
34. It takes an interaction of 72 different muscles to produce human speech.
35. You lose enough dead skin cells in your lifetime to fill eight five-pound flour bags.
36. Your thumb is the same length as your nose.
37. The storage capacity of human brain exceeds 4 Terrabytes.
38. The Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland was a symbolic character for the hat makers in towns of the late 1800's. The large felt hats of the day had supports made out of lead. The lead caused an organic form of psychosis (brain damage) to develop in the hat makers causing them to be declared crazy.
39. Although your system cannot digest gum like other foods, it won't be stuck inside of you forever. It comes out with other waste your body can't use.
40. The substance that human blood resembles most closely in terms of chemical composition is sea water.
41. Most toilets flush in E flat.
42. In the band KISS, Gene Simmons was "The Demon", Paul Stanley was "Star Child", Ace Frehley was "Space Man", and Peter Criss was "The Cat.
43. Dark Side of The Moon (a Pink Floyd album) stayed on the top 200 Billboard charts for 741 weeks! That is 14 years.
44. No one knows where Mozart is buried.
45. Jim Morrison found the name "The Doors" for his rock band in the title of Aldous Huxley's book "The Doors of Perception", which extolls the use of hallucinogenic drugs.
46. John Lennon named his band the Beatles after Buddy Holly's 'Crickets.'
47. The Beatles played the Las Vegas Convention Center in 1964. Some 8,500 fans paid just $4 each for tickets.
48. "Mr. Mojo Risin" is an anagram for Jim Morrison.
49. In the Durango desert, in Mexico, there's a creepy spot called the "Zone of Silence." You can't pick up clear TV or radio signals. And locals say fireballs sometimes appear in the sky.
50. Ethernet is a registered trademark of Xerox, Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T.
51. Bill Gates' first business was Traff-O-Data, a company that created machines which recorded the number of cars passing a given point on a road.
52. Uranus' orbital axis is tilted at 90 degrees.
53. Every human spent about half an hour as a single cell.
54. Every year about 98% of atoms in your body are replaced.
56. Hot water is heavier than cold.
57. Plutonium - first weighed on August 20th, 1942, by University of Chicago scientists Glenn Seaborg and his colleagues - was the first man-made element.
58. If you went out into space, you would explode before you suffocated because there's no air pressure.
59. The radioactive substance, Americanium - 241 is used in many smoke detectors.
Sound travels 15 times faster through steel than through the air.
60.On average, half of all false teeth have some form of radioactivity.
61. Only one satellite has been ever been destroyed by a meteor: the European Space Agency's Olympus in 1993.
62. A ball of glass will bounce higher than a ball of rubber. A ball of solid steel will bounce higher than one made entirely of glass.
63. An ordinary TNT bomb involves atomic reaction, and could be called an atomic bomb. What we call an A-bomb involves nuclear reactions and should be called a nuclear bomb.
64. Androphobia is a fear of men.
65. Caligynephobia is a fear of beautiful women.
66. Pentheraphobia is a fear of a mother-in-law.
67. Scopophobia is a fear of being looked at.
68. Phobophobia is a fear of fearing.
69. Mageiricophobia is the intense fear of having to cook.
70. Papaphobia is the fear of Popes.
71. Taphephobia is the fear of being buried alive.
72. Clinophobia is the fear of beds.
73. The English word pajamas has it's origin in Persian. It is a combination of the Persian words pa (leg) and jamah (garment).
74. The ZIP in zip code stands for "Zone Improvement Plan."
75. Punctuation was not invented until the 1500's.
76. Approximately sixty circus performers have been shot from cannons. At last report, thirty-one of these have been killed.
77. The Boeing 767 aircraft is a collection of 3.1 million parts from 800 different suppliers around the world: fuselage parts from Japan, center wing section from Southern California, flaps from Italy.
78. It took Leo Tolstoy six years to write "War & Peace".
79. On average, there are 333 squares of toilet paper on a roll.
80. The glue on Israeli postage stamps is certified kosher.
Epic. I love the one about how flushes are in E flat. I am fully going to stand by my bog with my guitar and say, 'gimme an E.' Woosh! Yaais!
If anyone has any other interesting / tittilating facts or stories please comment-